April 13, 2013

Love Note after Twelve Years


Life had changed for me. I never realized it. Moonlight walk changed into late night strategy workshops. Candlelight dinner turned into business meetings. Sweet and short phone calls from her transformed into long hour teleconferences. Gifts were no more priority now — there should be some tangible return whatever we invest, after all. Spending even 5 dollars on bouquet for Valentine’s Day seemed meaningless — you would lose at least half an hour searching parking space in downtown.


Overall there was no respite from hectic office and future planning. Whenever she, in a very mild attempt, tried to express her feelings, I had pre defined answer, “these all are for us only, darling” and she used to be quiet for another month or so.

Recently I had to go to Holland on a business trip for a week. I was working on an important assignment. I did not have even five minute time to talk to my parents who traveled more than fifteen hundred miles just to meet us. I called her to inform that I had to leave that evening. It was not new to her. It happened many times, and every time in evening I found her standing at door, smiling, with my suitcase packed with all the necessary stuff.

I checked in to Crown Inn in Eindhoven. It was 3 PM. I wanted to rehearse my presentation before I meet senior management. I was sure she would have kept the file. In past she never missed what I needed, never ever. But I could not control my anger. I opened my leather cased Samsonite and file was not there!!!

I took out or rather threw clothes one by one on cozy floor of Crown Inn. “Here it is” phewwww… what a relief. I knew she never missed even my minute taste. And for this one, I had specifically told her. I opened the file. There was a pink envelop, something similar to what we use to exchange, long time ago, before our marriage. Those days, loves were not made at Internet. It had been more than twelve years.

I opened the envelope. It had our family photo with her and our two little ones. We all were smiling. There was a pink greeting card with red heart. Inside it, it read, “Miss you my dear Teddy Bear”

When I was returning, at Schiphol airport, after many years I purchased something for her…just for her…diamond earrings.

Page source: yourstoryclub

No comments:

Post a Comment

royrronie.blogspot.com